Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Days Off

Cycling is addictive -- you ride many miles, come home, take a long hot shower (well, hot in winter -- gotta thaw), eat what you want, don't feel guilty about being lazy, sleep like a log, and are pretty content with clothes fit and the numbers displayed on the pound meter.

And then you feel tired.

Or have an early morning meeting.

Or just don't feel like riding.

It happens, and it's fine.

Unless you're being paid to ride your bike, it must take a back seat to more essential activities in life.

Recovery is one of those essential activities.

If you've been riding long enough you should know when to rest. While some twenty-somethings can press on, ignoring exhaustion, the more experienced of us need recovery.

So don't log onto Strava, don't watch Milan-San Remo highlights, and don't surf for a new helmet, wheelset, or tire to buy. You might even skip checking the forums for a day (I know -- heresy)

Oh, the horror.

So today is my recovery day. It's grey, damp, there's a chill wind, and I just didn't feel like riding. Plus it was supposed to rain. And I had a lot of work to do.

So I didn't ride.

I'll ride tomorrow. And maybe the day after.

And I will enjoy it more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog! We'll review your comment and add soon!