Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Giro Synthe Helmet Review POST CRASH UPDATE August 2017

The review below was written after my initial use of the Giro Synthe.

--- Added 7 August 2017 ----

I wore the helmet over many miles with no change in opinion -- this was the best road helmet I'd ever used. It was light, fit well, and became as un-noticed as bar tape.

It was there, it worked, ride on.

Early Saturday, June 24th, I planned to meet up with the usual riding group. It had rained a bit overnight, but dawned gloriously -- a perfect early summer day.

I rolled into the elementary school parking lot and turned -- as usual -- to perform a 180 to bleed off speed from the slight downhill -- nothing fast, maybe 15 MPH. I've performed this maneuver every time I've met the group.

Except this morning there was new, wet pavement, with just enough oil to make it slick. My front wheel slid to the left. I tried to pull it back but before I could react I hit the ground with my right side. I was conscious the entire fall. I heard the helmet crush and felt my head bounce a bit, but my sunglasses stayed on.

When I tried to roll over to unclip I felt a searing pain in my right hip. Later, x-rays indicated multiple fractures of the right acetabulum.

Two weeks in hospital and then rehab inpatient and I was home for a long recovery.

When I examined my helmet, I found far less damage than I expected:

Right Side Abrasion Damage

Impact Damage

Right Side Crack
I contacted Giro and they offered a 30% discount off full MSRP.

I'm not sold on MIPS (more on that here: http://www.helmets.org/mips.htm and an excellent response from Specialized here: http://specialized.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/1306043-mips-helmets-)

So I searched eBay until I found an identical replacement for my Giro Synth.

Once cleared to ride the roads again I'll be riding with a Giro.

And I'll be happy.



--- Original Review ----

My Giro Atmos and Limar Ultralight are both a few years old so it was time to replace them. Helmet technology has continued to evolve and the new Giro Synthe promised to provide both aerodynamic efficiency and cranial cooling (I prefer a cool cranium).

It looks cool, too.

It took a couple of weeks before I pulled the trigger but when I did, I took the advice of another reviewer on www.biketiresdirect.com and ordered the Large.

When it arrived I was pleased with the shape, design, and retention system, but I was NOT pleased with the Death Star Fire Control Operator look -- far too big and it looked awful.

I exchanged for a medium and it fits perfectly. It feels tighter than my previous helmets but it doesn't squeeze my head (there's a difference). The fit is low and close without being a vise. The internal suspension system helps provide space between your head's surface and the inside of the helmet.

My other helmets sit on my skull with the weight of the helmet borne by a few small pads. This is fine when the pads are new but as they wear there is less and less cushioning. Sure, you can replace the pads but it's not long until the pads are flattened again.

The suspension is different in the Synthe. Instead of resting the helmet directly on the head, the Synthe is suspended by the Roc-Loc system. This spreads the weight over a larger surface. While at first look you may think the plastic suspension will dig into your head (like twist ties), in fact it never feels that way. It's a remarkable feat, but somehow it works.

The suspended approach also permits airflow across more surface area.

It's a simple yet revolutionary approach that will soon be copied on other helmets.

My experience is that you should order whatever size you normally wear. The Roc-Loc 5 system permits enough dialing in to adapt to your head.

I wear a thin skull cap/ beanie under my helmet, and that can add a bit to required helmet size (so I doubt the Synthe will work well for winter riding -- there's just not enough slack left to accommodate my thicker winter headgear).

I started wearing beanies year-round a few years ago when I developed allergic reaction to yellow jacket stings. Now when those ever-angry critters get smashed through my helmet vents there's time for me to rip my helmet off before they start stinging (without the cap they would get tangled in myt hair and often have time to sting). I also find the cap helps with cooling when I pour water over my head in the heat.

The Giro Synthe looks pro, is appreciably light, and it far more venty than it appears in the glamour shots. I really like the Roc-Loc 5 suspension retention system -- it's very lightweight yet secure. The x-static material in the straps are a nice touch, but I normally wash my straps regularly so never really had a problem with stinky gear (I find lukewarm water with a tiny dab of Dawn dish washing liquid works best).

I rode 57 miles with the Synth in the AF Cycling Classic in Crystal City, VA. By the end of the ride the ambient temperature was 91 F with 80% humidity. I didn't even notice the helmet until I realized there just wasn't as much wind noise as I was used to -- it was noticeably quiet. I also didn't feel the weight on the top of my head after 2 hours that I would feel wearing the Atmos.

While the Limar is light, the suspension system consists of wafer-thin pads fastened to the underside of the foam: this results in the entire helmet resting on 4 small points. So while the overall helmet is light, the sensation is fatiguing after a few hours.

The Giro Synthe performed very well and I have no regrets about the purchase.

I have a minor gripe about the finish, though, as it was less than perfect. I found a few ragged edges where the shell material wasn't completely trimmed clean. While I'm sure they are cranking out a ton of these somewhere in China, it doesn't matter. For this price, Giro should take an extra 30 seconds per unit for QA checks and reject any helmet with sloppy trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog! We'll review your comment and add soon!