Friday, August 5, 2016

Feeling Strong

Every so often the right combination of energy, enthusiasm, capacity, and will merge to form a good ride.

It's not necessarily the fastest ride, since you never feel torn up, or wrung out, or at the edge of endurance or pain threshold.

But you feel good -- the pedals turn easily, the pavement rolls by quickly. Breathing is rhythmic, the HRM ignored, the wind a steady accompanist.

I wish I know how to create those conditions at will.

I certainly can't predict them.

Some days I roll out thinking, "I'm beat -- I don't feel like pushing today..."

Other days I can't wait to ride. I'm sure it will be a fast, strong ride.

And then I feel like I'm pedaling in wet cement.

But the strong days -- as infrequent as they seem to be -- are what make all the other days worthwhile. You've put in the miles, made the climbs, pushed against the headwinds, felt the sting of ice.

Today you reap the reward -- flying under your own power.

Forget the HRM, the speed, the KOMs, and the PRs.

Feel strong, use it, enjoy it.

So you can recall it next time you're not so strong.

It will come again.

Someday.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog! We'll review your comment and add soon!