Friday, February 21, 2014

Cannondale CAAD 10 3 Ultegra Review

My primary ride these days is a 2012 Cannondale CAAD10-3 (Ultegra) with a set of Neuvation wheels, Vredestien Gran Fondo 700x23 tires, and a Sella Italia Flite (1990 style).

I've ridden my 1992 Pinarello Stelvio at least a hundred thousand miles, but in the summer of 2012 -- as my mileage started climbing back to what I used to ride back in the late 90s -- parts started wearing. When I learned replacement parts would cost twice than what the fully-built bike cost in '92, I decided to take a different approach.

It was time to start shopping for a new bike.



Now some may think this is good: "Yay! A shiny new bike!" But for me, it was a struggle. The Pinarello and I had been together over many, many miles. The Campy parts just worked -- silently, smoothly, and with awesome precision.

But now shifts were slipping, chains were rubbing, and we started to grow apart.

It wasn't easy. The Stelvio was an old, faithful friend. But now I was being let down. It takes time to process that, accept it, and move on.

Over the next few weeks I stopped by a few bike shops and looked at the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bikes. They were amazingly light, with corresponding price tags. Eventually I found a cheap part or other reason to keep looking.

Back on the Pinarello I had yet another annoying ride where I skipped shifts a couple of times going uphill (the Campy shift lever was worn and so slight thumb pressure inside the pivot would release the rear derailleur spring, resulting in instant shift to the 11 tooth rear cog, which is zero fun pedaling uphill).

I decided to start looking in earnest and stop making excuses.

I stopped by the local Cannondale dealer and checked out the offerings. The bikes were all lightweight, decently equipped, and priced three times more than my mental budget limit.

Gretna Bikes in Lancaster, PA
(These prices were equal to what I paid for a 1981 Ford Fiesta. My Pinarello cost $1700 in 1992).

The SuperSix EVO was amazingly light, had a weird white/ lime green paint scheme, and was well equipped with solid SRAM RED groupset. I took it for a short ride and was astounded -- had bicycle technology improved that much in 20 years? The ride was stiff, responsive, and yet firm -- there was a solid connection to the road. I shifted gears a felt the SRAM set clunk into place firmly.

This was very, very nice.

I rolled the SuperSix back in and asked to ride the CAAD10 to compare. At first the CAAD10 felt -- well, it's hard to describe how it felt. Perhaps "less smooth" works. It wasn't a rough ride, it was simply less dampened.

But soon I warmed to the sensation -- I could feel the road, and that is good. Of course the wheels were consumer-grade and need to be replaced, but the frame, fork, and drivetrain were solid. Every pedal stroke resulted in immediate forward motion. This bike was light, too. The EVO was 15.5 pounds, this bike maybe 2 pounds more. Good grief -- one less water bottle and they'd be the same weight.

A stock 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-3 Ultegra on the Showroom Floor
I rolled back in and thanked the guys for the test spin.

The groupset is the decent, workable Shimano Ultegra. It can't match the sheer artistry of the late-90s Campagnolo Record set on my Pinarello, but times change, and Campy gear is now insanely expensive.

Maybe Shimano is good enough after all...?

The wheels... well, the wheels are Mavic's Aksium. Yeah, lowball wheels to keep the overall price down. I get it. I'm not racing and it would be a while before I would wear these out so they'll stay. The tires were Mavic something or others (those I replaced pretty quickly with Continental Grand Prix). The saddle was a ProLogo torture device. FSA Cranks looked decent and felt stiff enough.

I came back a few days later and made an offer (MSRP? Who pays that?). The response was a quick "OK" (hmm, should have offered lower). I said that would work if they would replace the stem with a 140. They agreed.

(Good folks over at Gretna Bikes in Lancaster, PA!)

It's a "deal" when both seller and buyer are happy.

I was happy.


I brought the bike home but it was too late for a ride. I put mounted my Look pedals, checked tire inflation, and waited for the next morning when I saddled up and took it out.

I wasn't happy.

While the bike was set up to match the measurements on my Pinarello, the saddle felt awful. Upon closer inspection it was about 2 mm nose down from level. That coupled with the slightly wider sit area made it pure torture.

Next, the right STI shifter slid down, apparently not fully tightened on installation.

I replaced the plastic seat with the Selle Italia Flite off my Pinarello, and brought the bike back to the shop for shifter fixing. They apologized profusely, reset the STIs, and sent me on my way.

The next morning ride went better. The Flite saddle coupled with solid hoods to rest on helped. Compared to my steel Pinarello this bike felt downright twitchy. But that was fine -- I liked the responsiveness. The bike also felt better on climbs, and accelerated faster on the flat.

I was happy again.

Since then, I've logged over 8,000 miles on the CAAD 10, with most rides between 20 and 40 miles, in wind, cold (as low as 8 F), and scorching heat (95 F). The bike needs good wheels to fully exploit its capabilities.
Riding my Cannondale CAAD10-3  with totally non-matching tires/wheels (I need more than one picture of me)
The bike is not a touring machine. It wants to be pushed and dawdling results in drift. This bicycle was meant to be ridden at a steady cadence (for me that means 80-100 RPM), with lots of out of the saddle climbs, lots of speed, and lots of  miles.

The Shimano Ultegra derailleurs and I have finally come to a truce (it been the noisiest drivetrain I have ever ridden). Now it shifts well and doesn't require frequent tuneups. Replacing the stock Cannondale shift cables with Jagwire cables helped.but unless it's dialed in to within a micron you will have chain rub, chain grind, and other shifty nonsense. It took me a solid 6 months to figure out. I'm sure the Campagnolo drivetrain spoiled me forever.

Eventually I took the plunge and upgraded the drivetrain to Shimano Dura Ace 7900 (Front and Rear Derailleur and chain). That and new wheels made the CAAD 10 a race-ready bike. The difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace should be slight. Well, not really. the DA stuff shifts more smoothly, grinds less, and looks cool. I'm spoiled,bu Camp awesome but DA is pretty perfect.

After 50 miles of rough pavement you will be more beat up on this bike than you will be on a high end carbon fiber or steel bike. It's a firm ride -- "plush" is not in the design spec -- and unless you are a supple rider you will feel it. I rarely ride over 50 miles, though I've ridden the CAAD10 on a few of hilly metric and full centuries. I finished, but was glad to be done. I'm sure the SuperSix EVO would be a better choice for true long distance fast riders.

Use the $3000 you will save (over a similarly equipped carbon ride) to buy decent wheels and tires and good cork handlebar tape.

I'm very happy with the Cannondale CAAD10-3. It's been a fine upgrade and a component machine. Kudos to Cannondale!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog! We'll review your comment and add soon!