Friday, February 21, 2014

Fog Ride 2/21/2014

There was  a brief window this morning to get a ride in before intense work schedule and more intense thunderstorms rolled through. A quick check of accuweather and  then a moment outside confirms the prediction -- cold, foggy, damp. Oh well -- no way I'm spending an hour on the trainer when I can hear real asphalt humming under my wheels.

I don't even consider the GoPro today. First, the lens will be covered with water drops in seconds. Second, the video will be insanely dull -- an unending ribbon of pavement surrounded by varying shades of grey and white. No thanks.

It's easier to dress when it's very cold and dry -- lots of layers, ski gloves, neoprene booties, and thermal skull cap under the helmet make 15 F rides possible and reasonably safe. Moderately cold and damp (36 F) weather is a challenge. Over dress and the perspiration that would evaporate on drier days makes for clammy -- and inevitably cold -- riding. Under dress and it's just plain cold. I opted for one less layer than I wear on 20 degree days and rolled outside.

It was foggy -- and getting foggier. As the dew point spread gets closer, more water converts from vapor to liquid, making fog. It was slowly warming and that spread was coming down. At this rate the visibility would be a few hundred feet. Oh well, I'm not flying an airplane today, I'm wearing a Hi-Vis jersey, have a bright NiteRider Solas 2 Watt USB Tail Light, and a NiteRider Lumina 700 USB head light on full blink mode. It's after the normal morning rush so I should be OK.

The first mile is chilly but that's normal. Soon cadence, heart rate, breathing are normal and I make my way to the back roads. It's really getting foggy -- Soon I can barely see 30 yards ahead. The melting snow blanketing the fields fuse with the hazy light. I'm glad the roads are clear and the snow and ice have melted -- there's no way I would see an icy patch in time around a corner.

I follow a normal loop route, stopping and spending a bit more time at intersections looking for cars and trucks. About 20% are driving without lights on. It amazes me, really. Don't they understand that lights are as much about being seen as to see? Maybe not...

I don't push, ignore Strava KOMs, and enjoy a short 19 mile loop. By the time I'm home I'm drenched from the damp air. The bike rolls into the garage and onto the work stand and I go in and replace wet lycra for normal daytime attire.

Tomorrow is supposed to be clear, but windy. Clear? Above 30 F? I'll be outside...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog! We'll review your comment and add soon!