Monday, February 17, 2014

February 17th, 2014: Sunny, 16 degrees (F), 25 miles

President's day is a Federal holiday, so it's a day off when I really didn't need one (especially after all the snow days we've experienced this winter). After an early morning work session I checked AccuWeather and figured it was my first chance to get outside in over a week.

I pulled out all my winter cycling clothes and decided to go with a pair of thermal tights over bib knickers, and 4 underlayers with a screaming yellow Pearl Izumi long sleeve jersey over it all. Ski gloves for my hands, thin polypro socks with heavy wool socks over, slightly large Diadora road shoes with no-longer-available yet awesome Performance neoprene booties.

I waddled out to the garage, set up the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, started Strava, and rolled the Cannondale CAAD 10 out the driveway.

The first couple of miles in the cold are usually the coldest: overdressed and you will start to sweat. You want to be almost chilly at first until you warm up to operating temperature, but not warm enough to sweat. Perspiration moistens your clothes, increasing heat loss. When its below 30 F, that gets uncomfortable.


I rolled along and squinted in the intense sunshine reflected off the abundant white snow. The roads were mostly clear. I shifted until I found a gear combo that let me pedal along around 85 RPM - I'd pick it up once I warmed up.

I planned to head southeast but traffic kept me rolling along I changed the route and headed west, then north. The wind picked up to about 10 MPH form the west-northwest.

The infinite variations of terrain out on real roads  reinforces the artificiality of the stationary trainer -- I feel so out of shape! Oh well -- this is what will get me back in shape.

The miles passed by in brilliant blue whiteness. My cadence regular, breathing steady, feeling adequate, but not strong. I was surprised at how much work it was to fight the wind.

The roads were fine until I rolled into Manheim, where my side street route through town presented large sheets of well-packed ice. I detoured a few times, shuffled slowly a few others until I made it out of town. I hit the short, steep (13%) Power Road with zero inertia and churned up. The ride down Sun Hill Road was brisk, and not far down the GoPro beeped to let me know the battery was done. 1:20 in 16 degree temperatures is about the limit, I suppose.

I shuffled across a few more large ice patches on Auction road, and was happy to turn onto clear, no-ice Strickler road.

25 miles in 1:40 is no speed record for me. I suppose I can pick up my ice shuffling pace a bit. Let's plan on no ice next time I ride outdoors!




Strava Ride Page



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog! We'll review your comment and add soon!