Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Cold Weather Riding

It was cold (again) this morning. I left early (still dark) . Overcast, light winds, 19 F.

Here's the clothes required to make riding in the teens bearable:


The pile consists of:

  • 100% wool socks (purchased 2 years ago from a small store in the Chateau Frontenac, made on the Island of Orleans)
  • Carhartt polypropylene liner socks
  • Performance Thermal Booties (no longer available from Performance and a real shame)
  • Diadora Road Shoes (slightly large, so my thick socks fit)
  • Castelli knickers
  • Castelli thermal bib tights
  • Voler tank undershirt (best year-round cycling garment I own)
  • Target-brand compression long sleeve jersey (as effective as the under-steel stuff and 1/10th the price, $12)
  • Off brand polypro knit turtleneck long sleeve jersey (Target, $15)
  • Hind thermal long sleeve jersey (TJ Max, I think, $10)
  • Louis Garneau High Vis cycling long sleeve jersey (High Vis is great on these early morning rides)
  • Big ski gloves (also Target, $15)
  • Thermal skull cap (no idea where or how much -- maybe Nashbar?)

I have a rear blinking light and a head light. That coupled with careful choice of roads helps maintain the safety edge.

By the end of my ride my toes were cold, but everything else was warm enough without being clammy. Of course I wasn't pushing too hard but still -- the combination of layers works.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog! We'll review your comment and add soon!