Sunday, February 16, 2014

Tandem: Shoes and Pedals

We both use the Look pedal system. We have tried the Shimano SPD, but they resulted in too much pressure on a very small a part of the foot. The Look platform is wider and therefore more comfortable over time.
Janet has a pair of Shimano shoes with Look pedal adapters (go figure!) and I have a pair of Sidi shoes.
Sidis are the most comfortable cycling shoes I’ve ever used. They are lightweight, stiff, and yet amazingly comfortable. I use a pair of Diadoras in the winter, since they run a bit larger and let me wear a thicker sock. We don’t ride the Tandem in winter, though as Janet doesn't enjoy freezing.
The only downside to Look pedals is the tricky clip-in. Looks are balanced to fall a certain way to enable quick clip-in, but if they don't fall correctly you will not clip in. I'm sure Speedplays are better for quick entry, but I'm not interested in setting up a whol new shoe-pedal combo just for the Tandem. So we are a bit more careful on pushoff and deal with the sometimes missed clip-entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog! We'll review your comment and add soon!